Saturday, June 21, 2008

Amethyst, Emerald, OH MY!


VivienCheng reclaimed a vintage handbag to create this beautiful clutch...



Here's what she has to say about her reclamation process:


Every vintage or reclaimed handbag that I revamp is customised individually with its own original hand-painted motif. As each handbag is one-off, I first sketch up multiple ideas in colour and sometimes do up paper patterns to test out my ideas before painting. Once I have the final design, I start painting my layers. I usually work on a small part of the handbag over several days. Sometimes a single handbag has up to 8 layers of paint on it!

My goal is to create designs that complement and enhance the handbag’s original style. It’s all about reviving and resurrecting the bag without disturbing from its original design, so I appreciate when someone sees my bags and assumes the motifs have always been there.

No comments: